WordPress is definitely is the best CMS for blogging as it is Famous for ” 5-Minute Install “and easy to use. As a webmaster or Blogger you need to test new themes and plugin regularly, but it may go wrong sometime and your site may get down. So to avoid it , you can test your themes and plugin Locally in your PC without any fear and much faster speed.
To install WordPress,it has following requirements (Version 3.2)
- PHP version 5.2.4 or greater
- MySQL version 5.0.15 or greater
- (Optional (required for multi-site)) Apache mod_rewrite module (for clean URLs known as Permalinks)
It is difficult to install an Apache web server on your computer and it gets harder if you want to add MySQL, PHP and Perl, though for WordPress you only need PHP and MySQL . I’m using XAMP for installation of PHP and MySQL in my computer and then WordPress.
XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. It is really very easy to install and to use – just download, extract and start.
Steps To Install WordPress Locally on your Computer.
1) Download Window installer of XAMPP from here and install it according to instruction.
2) Click Next button to install Xampp.
3) Choose your Install location,by default it will install Xampp in C:\xampp
4) Select which service to be installed.Leave Filezilla as it is not required.However you can install it later.
5) You will get Notification as “Service Installation is finished”. Click “ok” to continue.
6) Now your installation is finished,click “Finish” to continue.
7) Now after installation you will able to see XAMPP control Panel from where you can see various Buttons for setting and other purpose.
8) Click Admin button beside Apache in Xampp Control Panel to get started.
9) Then click “Status” present in menu bar, to know which component is running or not. Change your password for Apache and Mysql by typing this URL in your browser http://localhost/security/xamppsecurity.php .You can also check your local server security here http://localhost/security/index.php and then do as required.
10) Now its time to create a Data base in PhpMyAdmin. To create database open Xampp Control Panel from Notification area. Click “admin” beside MySQL (See picture under 6th point). Login with your username and password, which you have just created. Enter wordpress or any other name in Create new database and click create.
11) Now you have created a database and it’s time for connecting database with WordPress. Download WordPress and extract it to C:\xampp\htdocs using winrar or winzip.
12) Now you have two option for installing WordPress. First by editing sample-config.php file manually and other directly via WordPress. I’m showing second method to install WordPress.
Open any browser and go to this URL http://localhost/wordpress.You will get this Configuration error .
13 ) Now click “Create a configuration File” to create config.php file
14) Enter all details like database name,username and password, same as created in MyPhpAdmin. Leave database Host and Table Prefix as Default.Then click submit to create Config.php file.
15) After creating Config.php file you will get option of WordPress installation.Run installation by clicking it.
16) Enter your site details and passwords for full installation and click “Install WordPress”.
This your last step and now you can sign in WordPress and test your theme and plugin locally. For accessing your admin panel go to this URL http://localhost/wordpress/wp-login.php and to access homepage go to this URL http://localhost/wordpress/.
Please share this post if you liked it .Ask any question if you have any doubt.Comment will be appreciated.