36. I can’t add a friend.
Please note that privacy settings may limit your ability to see the “Add as Friend” link for some users. Also, once you’ve sent a friend request to a particular user, you cannot send another.
37. What happens when I click “Not Now” after receiving a friend request?
Clicking “Not Now” will hide the request so you can take action on it later. If you choose to hide a friend request, a notification for the request will no longer appear on your home page. To confirm or delete the request later:
- Go to the Requests page.
- Select “See Hidden Requests.”
- You can confirm or delete individual requests or delete all of your hidden requests.
38. I sent someone a friend request, but they did not receive it.
Please provide adequate time for the person to take action on the request as they may have missed the notification email or may have not seen it on their Home page yet. If you sent this request using the Friend Finder, please make sure that you sent it to an email address that is listed on this person’s account. If the request was sent to a different email address, then it will not appear in their account.
39. How do I suggest a friend to someone?
To suggest a friend to someone, take the following steps:
- Click the “Suggest Friends for [Name]” link found at the bottom of any friend’s profile page. Or, after confirming a friend request from a new user, click the “Suggest friends that he/she knows” link. A window of all of your friends will appear.
- Select the friend(s) you want to suggest. To find a particular friend, you can type their name in the “Find Friends” field or scroll through your complete Friends List. You can click the “Filter Friends” drop-down to sort your friends by network or Friend List.
- Once you make all of your selections, click the “Send Suggestions” button. Each friend that you selected will receive an invitation to add the new user as a friend.
40. A large number of my friends have disappeared.
The security of your account may have been compromised. Please select a unique and complex password that is different from other passwords that you use on the Internet, and keep this information completely to yourself. You can reset your password by using the “Change Password” field on the Account page.
You should also make sure that all email addresses associated with your account are secure. Remember that anyone who can read your email may be able to also access your Facebook account. Additionally, please make sure that you log out of your Facebook account after each use and “quit” your browser when you’re done using the site. Never check the “Keep me logged in” box when logging in from a public computer or someone else’s mobile device, as this will keep you logged in even after you close your browser window.
Finally, please make sure that when you access the site, you always log in from a legitimate Facebook page with “facebook.com” in the domain part of the URL (web address).
Privacy: Blocking people
41. What is blocking? What happens when I block someone?
A block prevents specific people from viewing your profile. Any ties you currently have with the people you block will be broken (friendship connections, friend details, etc.). Your profile will not be visible to them and you will not appear in their search results or friend lists. Blocking is mutual, so they will also become invisible to you as well.
Keep in mind that blocking someone may not prevent all communications, such as interactions in third-party applications, and does not extend to elsewhere on the Internet.
Please note that removing a block will not restore a connection. If you block a friend and then remove that person from you Block List, you will need to send them a new friend request.
42. Will someone know if I’ve blocked them?
No. Blocking someone is completely confidential, and the person will not be notified that he or she has been blocked.
43. Why am I able to see content added by a user that I’ve blocked on the site?
Blocking a user will prevent any type of direct interaction between you and that user. However, for technical reasons, there are certain instances when an individual you have blocked from your account may be able to view your comments on the site and vice versa, including comments on a mutual friend’s photo. Please be assured that your listing will appear in black text, with no profile picture visible or contact links available.
44. How do I block someone?
There are three ways to block someone. Click here to see how to block someone.
45. How do I unblock someone?
To remove a block you’ve set on someone:
- Open the Account drop-down menu that’s located at the top right corner of any Facebook page.
- Select Privacy Settings.
- Under the Block Lists section, Click “Edit your lists.”
- Click “Unblock” next to the person’s name.
Please note that this will not automatically add the person back to your friends list. If you want to become friends with this person again, you’ll need to send him or her new friend request.
46. What can I do to prevent or address cyber bullying?
Facebook want to remain an environment where people can connect and share comfortably. Cyber bullying is defined as the use of any new technology to harass or intimidate someone, and there are steps you can take to prevent this kind of behavior if it occurs.
- Accept Friend Requests Safely
- Use the “Block” Feature to Stop Abusive Behavior
- Report Abusive Behavior Directly to Facebook
- Restrict Privacy Settings
- Respond to Abusers in the Right Way
47. What do the green dot and half moon icons in Chat represent?
A green dot will appear next to a friend who is online and available to chat, and a moon will appear next to a friend who is currently idle. Friends are considered idle when they have not taken any action on the site in the last 10 minutes. On profiles and anywhere else on the site, clicking on a chat icon will start a conversation with that person.
48. How do I create a smiley and other emoticons in Chat?
- To add emoticons, type the following characters into your message:
) : ( : / >: (:’ (:-* <3
49. Can I chat with more than one person in the same conversation?
To chat with members of a group, first go to the group. Then, select the chat option from the Actions menu on the right-hand side of the page.
50. How do I change my Chat availability?
To let your confirmed Facebook friends know that you are available to chat, click the Chat icon in the bottom right corner of your browser window when signed into Facebook and choose the “Go Online” option from the window that appears. You can click the “Go Offline” link at any time to stop receiving messages through Facebook Chat.
51. What does it mean to use friend lists in chat, and what’s the benefit?
Using Friend Lists in Chat simply means having organized groups of friends appear in separate lists on your Chat menu. There are many benefits to this feature:
- Appear “invisible” to some people and not others: By having separate lists for different groups, you can choose to “Go Offline”—which means appear invisible—to some groups of people. At the same time, you can stay visible to chat with other groups of people.
- Find individuals in your Chat list quickly: If your Chat list is very long, then having Friend Lists makes it easier to find individuals. For example, if you want to talk to your brother, you can quickly look under the list you’ve created for family, find him, and then send him a chat message.
- Keep the friends you chat with the most at the top of the list: Your Friend Lists will always appear at the top of your Chat menu, which means you can keep the people you chat with the most at the top for easy accessibility. You can always customize which Friend Lists appear in Chat if you want to see some Friend Lists and not others.
52. How do I create a friend list in Chat?
To create a friend list in Chat:
- Click on “Chat” in the bottom tool-bar.
- Click on “Friend Lists.”
- Beneath “Create a new list” at the bottom of the tab, enter the name of the list you wish to create and hit “enter.”
- Once your new List is visible in your Chat window, drag the names of people you want to include into the list.
- Alternately, move the mouse near the name of your Friend List, and click “edit” to add multiple friends to the list at the same time.
53. How do I go offline (i.e., appear invisible) for certain friend lists?
To go offline for a certain friend list, click the white circle next to the title of the list. This will change the status bar from green to grey. Going offline for a particular friend list means that group of people will not see you online—you’ll be invisible to them. However, the friend list will still appear in your Chat window.
54. Why am I seeing a black frame around photos when I click to view them?
This frame is part of our new photo viewer, which allows you to see and comment on full-size photos without losing your place on Facebook.
For example, if you see a friend’s photo in your News Feed and click on it, you’ll see it full-size in the photo viewer. You can easily browse through other photos in the same album using the viewer, and when you close the viewer, you’ll be in the same place in your News Feed.
For more information click here.
55. How can I close the photo viewer and return to the page I was on before?
To close the photo viewer, click the “X” at the top right corner or press the Escape key.
56. How do I edit the privacy settings for my photo albums?
To edit the privacy settings for a photo album, follow these steps:
- Go to the photo album.
- Select the “Edit Album Info” button in the lower left side of the screen.
- On the “Edit Info” tab, select the “Privacy” drop-down menu to customize the privacy settings for your album.
Please note that if a photo of you resides in an album you do not own, only the owner of the album can adjust the album privacy. This may affect the visibility of photos you are tagged in when your friends look at them. Also, if you share a high resolution photo or album with someone, that user will be able to download those photos.
You can also access privacy settings for photo albums by doing the following:
- Click on the “Account” menu and select “Privacy Settings” from the drop down menu.
- Click “Customize settings.”
- Choose “Edit album privacy for existing photos.” Alternatively, you can click the “Album Privacy” link on the “Photos” tab of your profile next to your albums.
57. How do I share my albums with people who do not use Facebook?
When you are viewing your album, you will see a “public link” at the bottom of the page. Sending this link to friends or posting it on a website will allow everyone who clicks on it to view that album. Remember, this link will always work, even if you add photos or change your album privacy settings.
58. Who can see my photo album if I add an event to it?
When you upload photos to Facebook, you choose who can see them. If you add an event to the photos you upload, only event guests who you have shared your photos with – like your Friends or Friends of Friends – will see them.
59. How do I control who sees my Profile Pictures album?
To change the privacy setting for your Profile Pictures album:
- From the Account drop-down menu, select “Privacy Settings.”
- Under “Sharing on Facebook,” click “Customize settings.”
- In the “Things I share” section, click the link that says, “Edit album privacy for existing photos.”
- Change the privacy setting for your Profile Pictures album.
Note that your current profile picture will still be visible even if you choose to hide your Profile Pictures album.
60. How do I add photo captions?
- Go to your photo albums using the “Photos” link on your profile or home page.
- Click on an album to view the photos you wish to caption.
- While viewing a photo, click “Add a caption” beneath the photo. If there is an existing caption, click the pencil icon to the right of the text to edit it.
- After entering a caption, click “Save” before moving to the next photo
61. How do I comment on a photo?
If you have permission to comment on a photo, follow the steps below:
- Go to a photo and find the text box below it that reads, “Write a comment…”
- Type your comment in the text box and click on the “Comment” link.
This comment will be visible to anyone who views the image. Please note that you can only comment on your friends’ photos or other photos in which you have been tagged.
62. How do I delete a photo?
You can remove one of your photos while viewing it by clicking “Delete This Photo” under the photo.
If you want to delete an entire album you have created, you can do so by clicking “Edit Album Info” at the bottom of the album page and then selecting the “Delete” tab. You can also delete multiple photos at once photos from the “Edit Photos” tab.
Keep in mind that you will not be able to delete a photo if you did not upload it yourself.
63. What is photo tagging?
You can identify your friends in a photo by tagging the image. A tag will link to the profile of the tagged friend and cause the photo to display in the photos section of their profile. The five most recently tagged photos will also appear at the top of the profile. You can only tag your friends in photos, but you can tag any photo you are able to view. If you tag a photo that was not uploaded by a friend, the owner of the photo will need to approve the tag.
64. How does photo tagging privacy work?
You can restrict who can view all tagged photos of you from the Privacy Settings page. Note that tagging a photo does not change the existing privacy setting of the photo. For example, if a photo is limited to the album owner’s friends only, it will not appear to the tagged person’s friends unless they are also friends with the album owner. Tagging only affects privacy if the photo was previously not visible to person being tagged. You will always be able to see a photo in which you are tagged.
You can set your notifications so that you always know when someone tags you or one of your photos. If you wish to remove a tag of you or one made on a photo that you uploaded, click “remove tag” next to the tag when viewing the photo. If you tag a friend in a photo that you did not upload, you cannot remove or edit the tag. Only the owner of the photo or the tagged user will be able to do so.
65. Is there an option to approve a photo tag before I am tagged in it?
The functionality of approving a photo tag is not available. When you are tagged in a photo by one of your friends, or when they tag someone in one of your photos, the tag request will be automatically approved. However, you can:
- Customize your privacy settings so that “Photos and videos I’m tagged in” is set to “Only Me.”
- Set your notifications so that you always know when someone tags you in a photo or tags one of your photos. You can control this setting from the “Notifications” tab on the Account Settings page.
- Click “remove tag” when viewing the photo.
66. What’s the maximum number of people I can tag in a photo?
You can tag up to 50 people in a photo. Note that some of these tags may not be visible if there are tag requests pending or if someone’s privacy settings limit who sees what they’re tagged in. Before you can add another tag, one of the existing tags will need to be removed by you or, if you don’t have permission to do this, by the person who posted the photo.